The website for the Death Wish Coffee says “This is Extreme Coffee, not for the weak. Consider yourself Warned.” Obviously they say this as they claim that they have the world’s strongest coffee with more than double the caffeine available in an average coffee.
This is true when it is brewed as per the company norms which is a liberal 2 ½ teaspoons of ground coffee powder to a 6 ounce cup. This high amount of caffeine in the coffee is due to the higher amount of Robusta coffee beans which have higher caffeine content than the milder Arabica coffee beans. Death wish claims to have 660 mg of caffeine in a 12 fluid ounce cup.
The Robusta coffee beans are specially selected from Indonesia, Ethiopia and South America for their higher caffeine content and roasted to medium dark with a special process so as not to lose caffeine in the beans which usually goes down as the bean is being roasted.
It is priced at a slightly higher end of the artisan coffee brands at around $20 for a 16 ounce bag. You can buy it directly on its website or on amazon.com.
Death Wish Features
· This coffee is made of a special blend of beans from Indonesia, Ethiopia, and South America which are specifically selected for the high amount of caffeine content in them. In fact the producers claim that it has twice the caffeine content of the average coffee in the market today.
· It is medium dark roasted, much darker than standard coffees to give it a stronger kick.
· Beans are inspected before roasting for bean consistency and after roasting to ensure that the roast is consistent.
· This coffee is 100% organically produced. It is USDA Certified Organic. It is also a natural coffee and not a genetically modified version.
· It is kosher and is produced using fair trade practices.
· It comes as coffee beans in bags weighing 16 ounces.
· It is priced at around $20 for the bag. It comes with a no questions asked money back guarantee.
What We Like
1. It is certainly the strongest coffee out there. A strong and robust coffee aroma hits you when you open the sealed bag. However this aroma does not waft through the room when brewed.
2. The producers have claimed that this coffee has twice the caffeine of an average coffee and you can taste the strength of that caffeine in every sip. This coffee is certainly not for the weak as it packs a serious punch. But for all its strength it is smooth and flavourful and does not really taste very bitter or acidic. In fact you can get hints of chocolate and nuts.
3. It does keep you awake when working late into the night or for those marathon sessions of movies or Netflix. Some people have claimed that they have had to drink fewer cups of coffee through the day as the effects of this coffee lasts longer than other coffee.
4. We love the packaging, which keeping with its name the coffee is packed in a black bag which is decorated with skull and bones. The fun packaging generates a lot of humour and conversations when you take it out in front of your friends.
5. We also like the fact that this coffee is USDA certified organic which means it’s healthier than a regular coffee.
6. We also like the confidence of the manufacturers who offer a no question asked money back guarantee if we don’t like the coffee. This shows the confidence they have in their product.
What We Don’t Like
1. This coffee is definitely only for those who have a very high tolerance for caffeine and not for regular coffee drinkers.
2. It is rather an expensive coffee, but perhaps we need to drink half as much to get the same buzz.
3. It is a bit bitter due to the Robusta coffees. In all honesty we are NOT fans of Robusta. Most coffee snobs will agree that Arabica coffees are the true gourmet coffee beans.
The Final Results
If you are the type who drinks coffee just to get a caffeine kick for the energy required to get through your day then this is the coffee for you. You will not get a stronger caffeine kick with any other coffee. So if you do have a death wish, go ahead and try the coffee.
READ MORE +