The Wild Kopi Luwak Coffee is considered the world’s best coffee by most of the world’s coffee connoisseurs. It is also the world’s most expensive coffee. It is also known as the civet cat coffee or the cat poop coffee.
Kopi means coffee and luwak refers to the Asian palm civet cat (Paradoxurushermaphroditus). The Civet cat eats the ripe coffee fruit and after passing through its digestive track, the undigested coffee beans are excreted. These are collected, cleaned, disinfected, sun dried and lightly roasted to give you the wonderful coffee so beloved of the coffee aficionados.
The digestive juices of the civet cat especially proteolytic enzymes break the complex proteins in the coffee beans producing shorter peptides and amino acids which are sweeter than the complex proteins. This process is what removes the bitterness from the coffee and gives this kopi luwak coffee its characteristic mellow and sweet taste. Also the choice of Arabica coffee is a good one as Arabica is sweeter and smoother than the stronger robust aversions.
There has been a lot of controversy about this coffee recently due to the discovery that the civet cats were being kept in captivity to make this coffee. However the coffee we have taken here is only produced by wild civet cats which roam free in luwaka preserve in the volcanic area of Mount Matutum in the Philippines. Wild civet cats have a stronger sense of smell and also have the freedom to choose the fruits they want to eat as compared to the captive cats. So they will eat only the ripest and the sweetest fruits ensuring the coffee produced from these fruits is the best in the world.
Wild Kopi Luwak Features
· Made of high quality Arabica seeds grown in the volcanic area of Mount Matutum in the Philippines. It is lightly roasted in USA to ensure a mellow and sweet taste.
· The Asian palm civet cats who eats the coffee are wild civet cats which means that they are free to choose the coffee beans they like to eat and so choose the ripest and the most succulent fruits giving this coffee the best taste possible.
· It is a 100% organic coffee, grown without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
· Collected by the Baan Tribe, the indigenous tribal people of this region who are treated ethically by the company (Kopi Luwak Direct) that produces this coffee.
· Lightly roasted to get the best flavor of the coffee
· This coffee comes in a 2.4 ounces or 70 gram bags.
· Comes in a re-sealable pouch which keeps the coffee fresh for a longer time.
· It is priced at around $80 for the bag.
What We Like
This is considered the world’s best coffee so no wonder it has a lot of things we do like.
1. Aroma: It has a rich coffee aroma. It hits you when you open the bag which is well sealed to preserve the freshness of the coffee. And when you grind the beans, the entire kitchen smells wonderful.
2. Taste: The proof of the pudding or in this case the coffee is in its tasting. It is a smooth coffee which faintly tastes like dark chocolate with a hint of nuts. It does not have the bitter or acidic aftertaste which we associate with many other coffees. Please try it black with minimum sugar, you don’t need milk.
3. You can have 3 – 4 cups and even then this will sit well in the stomach. Apparently the digestive enzymes of the civet do well to aid in digestion.
4. We love the fact that this is an organically grown coffee which means no chemical were used to grow it, making this a healthier and more environmentally friendly coffee. Please keep in mind the coffee did pass through the digestive tract of a wild animal so…..
What We Don’t Like
Well it is the world’s most expensive coffee. There are cheaper brands available, but you will get what you paid for. So if you want a genuine wild Kopi Luwak go with this brand.
Only when you drink it do you understand why it is so expensive, given it is considered the best coffee in the world. It may not be for your everyday use, but for that occasional coffee pleasure or for sharing it with other coffee loving friends while discussing the process in which it is made, this is a perfect cup of brew.
READ MORE +